There’s nothing ugly about the pie we’re making today!
Shaina Bounds, co-owner of The Ugly Pie, is the DelmarvaLife kitchen today making banana creme pie.
Banana Creme Pie
- 1 pre-baked pie crust
- 2-3 ripe bananas (about a cup)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 T corn starch
- 1/8 t salt
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 T powdered sugar
1) Cut bananas into thin slices.
2) Combine sugar, corn starch, and salt in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Whisk in milk and egg yolks.
3) Cook custard mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Once mixture begins to thicken and bubble, remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
4) Arrange half of the banana slices into a single layer in the bottom of the pie crust. Pour half of custard mixture over banana slices and smooth. Arrange a second layer of bananas, add the remaining custard and smooth.
5) Place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the custard and place in fridge or freezer to chill.
6) Using a mixer and whisk attachment, combine heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Add in powdered sugar and continue whisking until stiff peaks form. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
7) Once custard is cool to the touch, remove plastic wrap and top with whipped cream. Garnish if desired. Keep pie chilled.