He recently recorded an episode on The Food Network series “Beat Bobby Flay.” That episode airs on May 2. Chef Clinton discusses that experience, and shows us how to make Ham Meatballs and Southern Fry Bread. The recipes are below.
- 2lb Ground Pork
- 3lb Ground Ham
- 1 1/3c Ground Oats
- 2 Large Shallots
- 4 Eggs
- 3/4c Milk
- 1/2T Ground Mustard
- 1c Cider Vinegar
- 4c Brown Sugar
- 1T Ground Mustard
- 1c Maple Syrup
- 1/2tsp Nutmeg
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2tsp Ground Clove
- 1/2tsp Ground Ginger
Southern Fry Bread
● 4 cups flour
● 1 teaspoons salt
● 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
● 1 ½ or more cups hot water
● 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Gradually add in the
water, mixing with a spoon or your hands until combined. It will be sticky.
2. Cover and let rest 2 hours. This is not a risen dough so the dough will not rise, but it does
need to rest.
3. Drizzle olive oil over the dough. Pull off golf ball sized pieces of dough and stretch or roll out
until very thin, without ripping it. The thinner the better.
4. Pour enough vegetable oil into a pot to cover it with 2 inches of oil. Heat to 350 degrees F.
5. Working one at a time, fry the dough in the hot oil until golden brown, flipping halfway through.
Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
Fried bread can be kept warm in the oven until there is enough to serve.