Use what you already have:
- Have your keys in your hand
- Be ready
- Keys can be used for self-defense
- Have your pepper spray attached to your keys
It’s all about your mindset. Have it in your head that you are not going to be a victim. It is a good idea to practice these self-defense tips. So Melody and Cpl. Taylor do just that:
- Have a plan – know where you’re going
- Look up – put your cell phone down
- Purse – on your arm, not in your hand
- Keys – hold them in a strong way with the key facing outward and have your pepper spray ready to go as well
- Authoritative – say “go away” and put your hand up to make them pause and think
- Run/drive away – go through with your plan and get away from the situation
Use the words “go away” to let the common person know that you need help and are in danger. If you just scream, it could be confused with kids playing nearby or you are just scared. Use words where someone would know that that’s not normal.
Cpl. Taylor says that if the attacker grabs your purse, give it to him. You are priceless, not your items. Your goal is to get home safe.
If you would like to attend a self-defense class, here are a couple in the area: