Ne-Shant is the first person a possible resource parent (foster parent) will come in contact with in the process of foster care or adoption. She explains that they are looking for families or individuals who can provide a home to children who have been separated from their families for one reason or another.
- Contact local department
- Attend an informational session in your community
- Register for 27 hours of pre-service training
- Additional technical requirements
- At least 21 years old
- Single or married
- Medical exams, criminal checks
- Home assessments/inspections
Possible foster parents and adoptive parents want to hear from people who are fostering or adopting, so advocates are always welcome.
It is important to realize that with adoption, it is the child finding a family, not a family finding a child. The most important thing is that the child’s’ needs are met first and foremost.