Deena Cook stressed the fact that not all people who have been diagnosed with lung cancer are smokers and that 20% of lung cancer patients have never smoked.
- Leading cause of cancer deaths
- 29% of all cancer deaths
- More than breast, prostate, colon, kidney, liver and melanoma cancers combined
- 221,200 new cases in 2015
- 13% of cancer diagnoses
- One of the most difficult to treat
- Hard to detect, years to develop
Amita Singh, Pulmonary Medicine, PRMC, talks about new technology that is available on Delmarva to help detect lung cancer. There is a new screening procedure to help detect lung cancer early on.
Singh explains that it is an electromagnetic navigational bronchoscopy, which is like a GPS to find cancer spots in the lungs.