What’s Happening Today – April 7, 2021
Today on DelmarvaLife –
It’s time for Sinchi to say so long to Salisbury. We virtually visit the Salisbury Zoo to find out why the bear cub is leaving and how it will benefit his species in the long run.
There are a lot of emotions that go into the decision to place a loved one in hospice care, but when that care comes at the hands of people who have hearts to help, the whole process can provide peace. We’ll meet the team at Talbot Hospice.
Kuhn’s Jewelers in Salisbury is celebrating 168 years in business. We learn a little bit about the store’s history and see how they’re celebrating.
When it comes to food, you can’t go wrong with the classics. During the month of April, Sodel Concepts Restaurants are throwing it back with some favorite classic dishes. We visit Bluecoast Seafood Grill, in Rehoboth Beach to see how they put together the classic dish, Trout Almandine.
You’ll never guess what the secret ingredient is in our Pierogi Lasagna. But we’re happy to tell you: it’s seasoned mashed potatoes! That’s right, this recipe combines tasty Italian lasagna and the succulent Polish pierogi, to make a mouthwatering dinner recipe that is totally unexpected. Talk about a totally winning combination! Topped with zesty Cheddar cheese, this vegetarian lasagna is a must-have for your shortcut recipe collection.
What You’ll Need
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 onions, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 cups warm seasoned mashed potatoes, store-bought or homemade
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add salt to onions and saute 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned; reserve 1/2 cup sautéed onions for topping. Add remaining onions, the pepper, and cheese to mashed potatoes; mix well.
- Place 3 noodles on bottom of baking dish. Spread 1/3 of potato mixture over noodles. Repeat layers until a total of 4 layers of noodles and 3 layers of potato mixture have been placed (with a layer of noodles on top). Top with reserved sautéed onions.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through.
So Many Options
- Feel free to add some cooked sliced mushrooms to the potatoes, or maybe a cup of well-drained sauerkraut. And season your mashed potatoes however you like them…salt, pepper, and butter work fine!
- Make this a freezer-friendly recipe: Follow recipe above except for baking. Cover assembled recipe with a few layers of foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze. When ready to eat, place frozen entree in fridge to thaw for 24 hours in advance. Once thawed, cook at regular time and temperature. Click here for more tips & tricks on freezing our recipes.
- If you enjoyed our Pierogi Lasagna, check out our collection of 22 Easy Lasagna Recipes, and be sure to try our All-in-One Pierogi Skillet!