What’s Happening Today – August 3, 2020
Today on DelmarvaLife –
The talk of the town over the next few days? Isaias. It’s coming. We have a good idea that the storm is going to impact Delmarva. Local teams have been working around the clock to do what they can to lessen the impact. Katie visits the crew at Delaware Electric Cooperative to find out what measures they’re taking.
Most of us have gotten used to the idea of wearing a masks. In most public places, they’re a requirement. While, we’re working hard to cover up our mouths and noses to stop the spread of COVID-19, some of us are facing a new problem – maskne – or mask-related acne. We talk with Aesthetician, Emily Coleman with Peninsula Plastic Surgery to talk about treatment and prevention.
It’s Most Wanted Monday and Lieutenant Tim Robinson of the Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office is back! He’s asking for your assistance in locating some individuals. If you call in your tip and it leads to an arrest, you will get a cash reward. Please call Crime Solvers, (410) 548-1776.
Every year, we look forward to previewing “Chamber Music by the Sea.” But when the pandemic hit, there were questions about whether or not the event would even happen. Well, we’re excited to tell you no. The creative minds that form this event have found a way to make it happen. We talk with Artistic Director of “Chamber Music by the Sea”, Elena Urioste, to discuss the virtual event. We also talk with Violinist, Elena Urioste, about their “Uriposte Juke Box” series.
Last week, we talked about the Accomack County father who bought his kids an ice cream truck to teach them a lesson in responsibility. We have no shortage of amazing young men and women on Delmarva. Today, is no different. Today we learn about the kiddos behind “Lemonade Kidz.”
While it may not be as creamy as traditional American potato salads, doesn’t mean German Potato Salad isn’t delicious! A sweet vinegary base and tasty ingredients like bacon, onion, and fresh parsley, all combine to make this dish unique. Check out the recipe below:
What You’ll Need
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
What to Do
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook potatoes 10 to 15 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain, place in a large bowl, and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until browned and crisp, turning as needed. Remove from pan, crumble, and set aside.
- Add oil and onion to bacon grease and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Stir in vinegar, water, sugar and salt; bring to a boil. Gently stir in potatoes and parsley.
- Add half of bacon to potato mixture and heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally. Remove to a serving dish, sprinkle remaining bacon over top, and serve warm.