Today on DelmarvaLife –
Reading, writing, history, math – all things we all learned in school: but, what about financial literacy? For thousands of students in our region, the opportunity to learn this crucial life skill is on the horizon. That’s thanks to an historic partnership. Here to tell us more is Jayme Hayes, President of Junior Achievement of the Eastern Shore.
College: the next big step in a young person’s life. You’ve got the application process, picking the right fit for your student, the entrance essays and exams…and that’s just the beginning. So many young people never finish college because of the workload, the need to schedule time for classes, homework, and maybe a job, the pressure to keep a good GPA…it’s a lot for a young person, but we have just the resource they need to succeed. We’ll talk to Geoff Point-Du-Jour and Paul Yang, they are mentors with the Delmarva Mentorship Program.
It may be August, but summer is still strong and spectacular at Delaware State Parks. The Summer Concert Series continues this week — Bryan Scar takes the stage this Friday and Saturday. He and fiddle player Steve Quillen are here with a preview.
Fresh shrimp happens at The Shrimp Boat! And, that fresh shrimp is the star of the show today in the shrimp tacos we’re about to make, with help from Shrimp Boat Owner, Joe White, and his daughter, Lilly.
In The Mr. Food Test Kitchen…
The latest trend in home cooking is copycat restaurant recipes! That’s why we’re making these fantastic Asian Lettuce Wraps; it’s the delicious taste of eating out, from the comfort of your own kitchen. This recipe is a low carb, high protein way to enjoy a homemade taste of Asia. The best part? There’s no tipping required.
What You’ll Need
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped pickled ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 Boston Bibb or butter lettuce leaves (1 head)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded cucumber
What to Do
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté beef, onion, salt, and pepper 5 to 6 minutes or until browned; drain liquid. Add hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, pickled ginger, and garlic and heat 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Place lettuce leaves on serving platter and top each with a spoonful of the cooked beef mixture, the carrots, and cucumber. Serve immediately.