What’s Happening Today – Monday, July 12th
Today on DelmarvaLife –
From today’s Hot Topics:
Homeowners in Kent and Sussex County are asked to be on the lookout for the poisonous hemlock plants. Two invasive species of the plant have been found in Kent and Sussex counties. They bloom from June through August and are members of the wild carrot family. They have small white flowers in umbrella-like groupings. If residents suspect they have found either of the plants, they should take a picture of it and email it to the Delaware Department of AG, at DDA.Marketing@delaware.gov
Most kids don’t get praise for sticking out their tongue. For children with tongue tie it’s quite an accomplishment. Dr. Gerardo Martinez of Delaware Pediatric Dentistry in Milford first discovered tongue tie in his own children; he now works with his partner Dr. David Delgado, and Shaun Pugsley, a speech pathologist, to further analyze how tongue tie affects patients.
How often does recognizing someone result in a fatter wallet? It does today, with Most Wanted Monday! Crime Solvers has cash waiting for you, if you can provide any information that leads to the arrest of one of today’s “special guests”.
Accent On Travel is not your standard travel company. Annette Stellhorn, owner of Accent On Travel joins us to talk about how informative the company is with their clients and what they are doing moving forward in a crazy industry right now.
Water and summer: they just go together, and if you’ve seen the forecast for the week, perhaps you’re ready to take a dip! For many people, that means a trip to the beach, or pool; and that’s great — you’ll have lots of fun. There’s another option, though, where the fun factor is on overdrive! It’s Jolly Roger Splash Mountain in Ocean City! We take you for a visit, in today’s “Monday Memories.”
There’s no better way to get fresh produce directly from the grower, and the best place to find the growers is the Farmer’s Market! The Town of Berlin is hosting a fantastic Farmer’s Market this summer; we have a sneak preview!
Need something new & exciting for kids to do this summer? They’ll get hooked on Electric Fish Lights! Your kids get to pick their own shape and color and bring it home with them the same day! Owners John & Amy are here to tell us all about their business, and how they are helping to light up other businesses too!
And today in the Mr. Food Test Kitchen…
When summertime comes around, you’re looking for something fresh and new; a break from those traditional deli salads you had so much of at church potlucks. Try this Cauliflower & Broccoli Salad! With the sweet burst of cranberry, and the crunch of crispy bacon, this broccoli salad is just what summer needs.
What You’ll Need
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 bacon slices, cooked crispy and crumbled
- 2 cups fresh cauliflower florets, blanched (see Tip)
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, blanched (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 3/4 cup salted cashew halves, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
What to Do
- In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise and vinegar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Toss with mayonnaise mixture until evenly coated.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Test Kitchen Tip: To blanch the cauliflower and broccoli, place florets in a pot of boiling water and let them simmer 1 minute; drain immediately. Place them in a bowl of ice water to stop them from cooking. Drain well and they’re ready to use. Or if you’re short on time, feel free to start with frozen cauliflower and broccoli florets. Just make sure you thaw and drain them first.
- Can’t get enough broccoli salad? We’ve got more where this recipe came from! Don’t miss out Best Broccoli Salad or our Broccoli and Cheese Salad! They’re sure to hit the spot when you’re craving that something fresh.
- Maybe you want broccoli in something a little hardier. In that case, we’ve got broccoli as the main course in our Beef ‘n’ Broccoli Noodle Toss, and our Creamy Corn-Broccoli Bake. For a light broccoli based snack, try our Broccoli Tots!
- If you’re the type of person who could never get tired of a good deli salad, then you’ll love our collection of Divine Deli Salad Recipes! Inside, you’ll find something for everyone to enjoy, and they’re all ready in a hurry.