Today on DelmarvaLife –
The Salvation Army Red Kettle Campaign kick-off is approaching. Captain Matthew Trantham, of the Lower Eastern Shore Salvation Army joins us to talk about this year’s campaign.
We visit Larry’s Trading Post in West Ocean City to see what’s involved in purchasing a firearm to protect you or your family.
Sometimes getting insurance with a not-so-perfect record can be challenging. We find out how Integrity Insurance Newton Agency can shop around to find the coverage you need. You can call at 302-841-9667.
Jacob Wagner, General Manager of Jojo’s Family Restaurant, in Salisbury joins us in the DelmarvaLife Kitchen to make seafood alfredo.
It’s time to vote in the 10th Annual Spicer Bros. Delmarva’s Neediest Roof Giveaway. Click here to read the submissions. You have until November 26th to vote. The winner will be announced on December 1st.
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
When the weather gets chilly there’s nothing like a comforting bowl of soup to warm you up! And, lucky for you, we’ve got a homemade soup that’s perfect for the season. Our creamy Butternut Squash & Apple Soup is an easy twist on the classic butternut soup recipe you’ve made all your life. The chopped apple and bit of cinnamon add the perfect touch of spice and sweetness.
What You’ll Need
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 4 cups fresh cubed butternut squash
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 apples, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
What to Do
- In a soup pot over medium heat, melt butter; sauté squash, onion, and apple 8 to 10 minutes or until squash is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add the spice mixture to the pot and stir to combine. Now add the broth, turn the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer 30 minutes.
- Carefully pour mixture into a blender and puree until smooth. Place mixture back in the pot and stir in half and half. Heat an additional 5 minutes or until heated through.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tips!
- We like to top these with either store-bought or homemade croutons. And if you have an immersion blender, this would be a great time to dig it out and use it, rather than having to pour this into your blender.
- Check out Our Best Butternut Squash Recipes!
- Our Butternut Squash Fritters are the perfect side dish during the fall season.
- If you can’t get enough soup, try one of these Sensational Soup Recipes!