Today on DelmarvaLife –
Tomorrow is Giving Tuesday, when non-profits across Delmarva encourage you to make a donation to support their important missions. One of those non-profits is the PMG Awareness Organization. We talk with President, Cody Stevens about what we can do to support their mission. We also hear his son, Luke’s story.
Working on the water – certainly not for the faint of heart. Especially right now as Delmarva approaches the middle of oyster season. We talk with Carrie Samis, Manager of Main Street Princess Anne, about her experience as a waterman or waterwoman, we should say.
I know a lot of you are with me on this – the day doesn’t start until you down a cup of coffee, or three, or five. There’s so much out there: iced coffee, cold brew, espresso, lattes, americanos…you name it. But, did you know coffee has great health benefits too. It can prevent things like type two diabetes and liver disease. Lessen your likelihood of developing Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s. All great reasons to drink up and we have just the place to start: House of Coffi in Dover, where smiles are met with satisfactory sips.
Monday’s are for fighting crime and Lt. Tim Robinson of The Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office is here to tell us how to do it. Plus, it might lead to some extra cash in your pocket!
The countdown to Christmas is on – are you in the holiday spirit yet? If the answer is no – we know some people who can help. The gang at Clear Space Theatre in Rehoboth Beach are presenting “Elf the Musical and we all know that “the best way to spread Christmas cheer is by singing loud for all to hear.”
Perhaps you spent the weekend pulling out the Christmas decorations and “decking the halls.” But, the experience was more untangling Christmas lights and fluffing out those Christmas trees. Well, we’re here to help. In today’s Monday Memory, we revisit our “Holiday Life Hacks,” with Corey and Lisa.
Nothing says comfort like soup on a rainy day. Mom’s Chicken Soup is full of tender love and care. Check out the recipe below:
What You’ll Need
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) chicken, cut into quarters
- 4 quarts water
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 celery stalks, cut into chunks
- 2 onions, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Chicken base or bouillon cubes to taste, optional (see Notes)
What to Do
- Rinse chicken under cold running water. In a soup pot over medium-high heat, combine all ingredients except chicken base; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer about 1-1/2 hours, or until chicken falls off bones. Cool slightly, then separate chicken from bones, discarding bones. Return chicken pieces to soup. Add chicken base, if desired, and stir until completely dissolved.
- If you decide to intensify the flavor of your soup with chicken base, begin with 1 or 2 tablespoons. If you are using chicken bouillon cubes, you can use 2 to 3.
- If you would like to make this soup a bit heartier, add some cooked egg noodles and no one will leave the table hungry.
You have an opportunity to help local families that are struggling to make the holidays happy this year. WBOC’s Bless Our Children campaign is underway. We’ve already raised more than 24,000 dollars, but with a year like 2020 – a lot of families need help. If you’d like to donate, send us a card with a check to Bless Our Children in care of WBOC or donate online at WBOC.com. From the bottom of our hearts – we thank you for giving during such a difficult year.
The 2020 DelmarvaLife Holiday Guide is back! With our holiday coupons to local businesses, you can save money on gifts for the entire family. Just print them out at home or pull them up when you’re shopping. Plus, you could win one of more than forty daily prizes to many of your favorite local businesses! Enter daily for additional chances to win and sign up today to get the latest deals. The savings start at delmarvalife.com/holiday. We’ll announce three winners tomorrow.