What’s Happening Today – October 11, 2021
Today on DelmarvaLife –
It’s Most Wanted Monday. Captain Tim Robinsons of the Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office has a list of six fugitives. Information leading to their arrest can net you cash.
Katie is on the Mid South Audio stage with DX Sabers to learn how you can get hold of one of their products.
It’s the tenth year for Spicer Bros. Delmarva’s Neediest Roof Contest. You have until October 31st to nominate a deserving homeowner by clicking here.
From the Mr. Food Test Kitchen
Salt Crusted Beef
When it comes to easy dinner recipes, this is one you have to try. Don’t let the name fool you. The crust isn’t going to make your beef roast super salty. Instead, it’s going to lock in all the flavors so that the beef comes out so moist and tasty, it’ll practically melt in your mouth. One of the great things about our Salt Crusted Beef, besides the delicious flavor, is that it’s easy enough for any night of the week, but fancy enough for holiday dinners as well!
What You’ll Need
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (2-1/2- to 3-pound) beef top round roast, trimmed
- 3 cups kosher (coarse) salt
- 3/4 cup water
What to Do
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine oil, onion, garlic, and pepper; close tightly and shake to mix well. Place roast in bag, seal, and coat roast completely with mixture. Marinate 2 hours in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, combine salt and water; mix well, making a thick paste. Place half the salt mixture in center of prepared pan. Place roast over salt mixture then coat with remaining salt mixture, completely coating roast and forming a crust about 1/4-inch thick. No worries, this will not make your roast salty, just moist and tasty.
- Roast 1-1/2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F, or until desired doneness beyond that. Remove from oven, let sit for 15 minutes, then crack salt crust with the back of a spoon and discard. Slice roast across the grain and enjoy.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tips
- Serving Suggestion: Whenever we serve this, we like to heat up some beef broth and drizzle this over each slice. Talk about flavor packed!
- While your Salt Crusted Beef is roasting in the oven, whip up these Skillet Potatoes and Spicy Honey-Roasted Carrots to make a perfect anytime meal.
- For more easy dinner recipes, try our Simple Sheet Pan Dinners or these Easy Weeknight Beef Dinners.
- Our Crunchy Almond Ice Cream Balls are a perfect dessert to wrap up this meal!